A peer-to-peer exchange that allows buyers and sellers to trade cryptocurrency directly with each other, without the need for an intermediary.
This is the opposite of a centralized exchange (CEX) which requires an intermediary to handle the crypto assets for the users.
The advantage of DEX’s are:
- Anonymous, no KYC and AML needed.
- A variety of tokens available
- Often easy swaps from any token into another token, in addition to fixed pairs, thanks to the AMM.
- Your tokens are in your wallet
Typical drawbacks of DEX’s are:
- High slippage due to low liquidity
- Anyone can add tokens and pairs, including scams and rugpulls (see rug).
- Higher DEX fees and, in the case of ETH mainnet, high gas fees, especially in busy times.
- It takes longer for transactions to confirm and they might fail if the exchange rate changes.
« Back to Glossary Index